Nonya Kueh & Cake Recipes - Kueh Jongkong Ingredient:
1. 250g glutinous rice flour/ tepung pulut
2. 200 ml water
3. 2 tbsp plain flour
4. 2 tbsp green pea flour
5. 1½ tsp salt
6. 4 tbsp sugar
7. 1½ coconuts (grated white part)
8. 1 liter water
9. 250g palm sugar/gula melaka
10. 5 screwpine/pandan leaves 35 banana leaves (22 cm x 17 cm.)
11. 100g palm sugar/gula melaka (chopped)
12. 35 banana leaves (18 cm x 8 cm.)
13. toothpicks (for securing banana leaves)
Nonya Kueh & Cake Recipes - Kueh Jongkong Methods Step By Step:
1. Combine glutinous rice flour with 200 ml. water; knead till a sticky paste is formed.
2. Add in both flours. Combine mixture well; add in salt and sugar; set aside.
3. Squeeze the coconut with 1 litres of water. Combine the flour mixture with half of the coconut milk; stir until a smooth dough is obtained.
4. Heat the remaining coconut milk in a saucepan. Add in palm sugar and pandan leaves; boil for 5 minutes and strain.
5. Pour palm sugar mixture into the dough mixture; stir well. Boil again, stirring constantly till mixture thickens. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.
6. Place 2 tablespoonfuls mixture on a larger banana leaf. Put a few pieces of chopped palm sugar on top of the dough. Top with 2 tablespoonfuls dough mixture.
7. Enclose dough with a smaller piece of banana eaf. Secure packet with toothpicks. Repeat until all dough and palm sugar are used up.
8. Place jongkong parcels in a steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
9. Remove from steamer. Chill kueh jongkong before serving. Serves 20