Kueh Lapis Ingredient:
1. 800 g.coconut (grated)
2. 650 ml water (for squeezing coconut)
3. 400 g rice flour
4. 280 g sago flour
5. 1/2 tsp salt
6. 550 g granulated sugar
7. 10 screwpine/pandan leaves
8. 350 ml water
9. a dash of red and orange food colouring
Kueh Lapis Method Step By Step:
1. Squeeze the grated coconut with 650 ml water. Top up with more water to get 950 ml.
2. Mix the rice flour, sago flour and salt in a bowl. Pour in the coconut milk, a little at a time to get a smooth dough.
3. Boil the sugar and screwpine leaves in 350 ml water for 10 minutes. Strain the syrup, and add in extra hot water to get 450 ml.
4. Add the syrup to the flour mixture. Stir till well blended.
5. Divide the mixture into 3 portions. Add red and orange food colouring to two portions.
6. Grease a baking tin. Place it in a steamer with boiling water.
7. When tin is hot, pour a layer of the coloured mixture into it. Steam for about 5-8 minutes. Pour some of the uncoloured mixture on top and steam again. Repeat for the next coloured mixture. Continue till all the mixture is used up.
8. When all of the mixture is used up, remove tin from steamer and let kuih cool for 8 hours.
9. To serve, cut kuih lapis into slices.